How can a librarian help you with your research assignment?
A librarian can help guide you through this process.
Don't wait to ask us for assistance until you're frustrated. Librarians enjoy a challenge!
Copy of Your Assignment
The assignment's "Research Instructions" and the "Criteria for Excellent Research Papers" are included in the PDF.
1. It's important that you read and even re-read the assignment instructions.
2. Pay attention to exactly what your professor requires you to cover in your research.
3. At least 3 sources are required.
4. Use scholarly and/or professional journal articles and books. Do not use Web sites.
Early Childhood Education
Ojai, CA. [Photography]. Retrieved from Encyclopaedia Britannica Image Quest. http://quest.eb.com/images/137_3315390
The Inquiry Project
This should include, but is not limited to the following:
- What are the most important concepts/generalizations (Big Ideas) that children should learn related to the topic you're discussing?
- Why do children need to learn about the topic?
- What do scholars and educators recommend for planning effective teaching strategies and interesting lessons on your topic?
- Which ideas did you find to be the most promising or interesting?
- How will what you have learned about this topic change the way you will teach social studies?
Remember, you're writing a research paper not a lesson plan.
The Steps of college research
- Choose a topic.
- Narrow or broaden the topic as needed.
- Identify keywords for your research question.
- Before you begin searching, you'll need to locate the most important
words to use.
- Find information.
- Use the online catalogs and article databases.
- Evaluate your search results.
- Evaluation includes criteria such as authority, accuracy, and lack of
- Avoid plagiarism.
- Observe academic ethical standards.
- Keep track of what information from what source.
- Use our Plagiarism Guide.
- Cite accurately.
- Use our Citation Style Guides and other library resources.