Beginning a research project? Don't know where or how to begin?
This Research Guide explains the research steps.
When in doubt, consult a librarian.
Ask a librarian
Please Interrupt Us!
We're at the Reference Desk waiting for you.
A librarian can help you:
- search smarter
- define and develop your topic
- locate keywords and phrases
for your topic
- use the databases and
- request books from other OU
campuses and OhioLINK
- with your citations
- with any of your research
The Steps of college research
- Choose a topic.
- Narrow or broaden the topic as needed.
- Identify the keywords for your research question.
- Before you begin searching, you'll need to locate the most important words
- Find information.
- Use the online catalogs and article databases.
- Evaluate your search results.
- Evaluation includes criteria such as authority, accuracy, and lack of bias.
- Avoid plagiarism.
- Observe academic ethical standards.
- Keep track of what information from what source.
- Use our Plagiarism Guide.
- Cite accurately.
- Use our Citation Style Guides and other library resources.
Academic search Complete